Welcome to the De Beers English Olympiad Website
This website enables schools to view their entries and results,
and provides information about the upcoming Olympiad.
2016 English Olympiad Winners!
Back row: Louisa Clayton (Grahamstown Foundation CEO & Chair of Olympiad Executive Committee); Robert McGregor (Top 15 Chaperone); Nokulunga Dlamini, St John's DSG; Rynhard de Bruyn, Helpmekaar Kollege; Nonhle Magqwashu (Top 15 Chaperone); Gwendolyn Johnson (Business Manager)
Middle row: Prarochna Rama (Olympiad Officer); Dr Diana Ayliff (SACEE Academic Co-ordinator); Sarah Herrington, Maris Stella High School; Rashmika Singh, Westivlle Girls' High School; Joseanne Capelo, Durban Girls' High School;Sasha-Lee Morare, Jeppe High School for Girls; Molly Jackson, Deutsche Internationale Schule, JHB
Front row: Dr Malcolm Venter (Chairman SACEE National); Prof Tom Martin (Dean of Humanities, Rhodes University); Hannah Clayton - 1st place, Rustenburg High School for Girls; Tsepo Monaledi (Head of De Beers Zimele); Adam Butler - 2nd place, Carter High School; Anne Peltason (SACEE Chairman Eastern Cape)
Logging on to this website
Teachers-in-charge of entering candidates into the English Olympiad will be issued with a Username and Password to access their school’s entry and to check on the accuracy of their candidates' names, grades, etc., and finally to see their results when they are released during late June each year.
2017 CALL FOR ENTRIES
To enter the 2017 English Olympiad, you can download the 2017 Call for Entries here AND download the 2017 Entry Form here, or contact the Olympiad Officer should you wish to have the Call for Entries and Entry Form emailed to you.
2016 English Olympiad TOP 20 Announced in RANK ORDER!
|Rank||Title||First name||Last name||School|
||Rustenburg High School for Girls|
||Carter High School
||Westerford High School
|4||Ms||Nokulunga||Dlamini||St John's DSG
|5||Ms||Caroline||Robertson||Herschel Girls' School
|6||Ms||Alexandra||Wittenburg-Scott||Rustenburg High School for Girls
|7||Ms||Joseanne||Capelo||Durban Girls' High School
|9||Mr||Jonathan||Hart||Redhill High School
||Herrington||Maris Stella High School
|Jackson||Deutsche Internationale Schule, Jhb
||Jeppe High School for Girls
|13||Ms||Cayley||Jones||Farimont High School
|14||Ms||Rashmika||Singh||Westville Girls' High School|
|15||Mr||Nicholas||Makins||Redhill High School
|16||Mr||Aasif||Bulbulia||St John's College
|17||Ms||Emma||Brunner||Pearson High School
|18||Ms||Calista||Reddy||Reddam House, Bedfordview
|19||Ms||Larissa||Tredoux||Rhenish Girls' High School
|20||Ms||Lily||van der Merwe
Eunice Girls' High School
|2||Ms||Ruthy||Mashaba||Khanyisa Education Centre|
|3||Ms||Leandi||Venter||Witteberg High School|
|4||Ms||Jay Dene||Klue||Otto du Plessis High School|
|5||Ms||Céhané||de Beer||Hoërskool Randburg|
|6||Mr||Pfumelani||Makhuba||Khanyisa Education Centre|
|7||Ms||Makwena||Matlou||Dendron Secondary School|
|8||Mr||Seakgathi||Manthata||Dendron Secondary School|
|9||Ms||Mfihlo||Ntsumele||Khanyisa Education Centre|
|10||Ms||Rozanne||du Plessis||Hoërskool Garsfontein|
|11||Ms||Michelle||le Roux||Hoërskool Randburg|
|12||Ms||Tshadi||Choche||Maths and Science Leadership Academy|
|13||Ms||Asma||Nakedar||Mbilwi Secondary School|
|14||Ms||Lisa||Victor||Oudtshoorn High School|
|15||Ms||Shella||Thobejane||Jane Furse Comprehensive School|
|16||Ms||Ndzalo||Baloyi||Khanyisa Education Centre|
|17||Mr||Mholi||Hlekwayo||Hluma Secondary School|
|18||Ms||Phuti||Ngoepe||Dendron Secondary School|
|19||Ms||Nomangwanya||Hlatshwayo||Mpilisweni Secondary School|
|20||Ms||Ntimela||Sombhane||Khanyisa Education Centre|
Click here for the RANK ORDER of the Top 100 for 2016
Click here for the official press release for July 2016
Please email Olympiad@foundation.org.za if you would like to receive a copy via email.
Click here for an explanation of the symbols.
Saul Musker, 2nd place in the 2012 English Olympiad, reflects on writing the exam:
Isaac Asimov, the celebrated American science fiction writer, once declared: ‘If the doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster.’ Reading this quote, my mind wandered to the top-corridor English classroom where I recently wrote my last English Olympiad, with Mrs Leaver’s voice in the distance: ‘Six minutes left, everyone! Hurry along!’ Six minutes left! Lord have mercy! It wasn’t that I was worried about time; I had just finished my last piece, and was about to give it a final read-over. No; I owed my despair instead to the realisation that I would never write another Olympiad. For me, the Olympiad is more than just another exam or competition. It is protected time for creativity; a dedicated three hours devoted to writing. I only wish I could write one every day, to escape the usual chaos of our existence, to let the ink pour out of my grateful mind. F Scott Fitzgerald observed that ‘all good writing is swimming under water and holding your breath.’ So dive, ye stranger! Submerge yourself in the cool green waters of your imagination, of the English language, of this moment in time!
News and Updates
- CALL FOR ENTRIES 2017: The theme for the 2017 English Olympiad is "Then and Now" and the anthology is entitled Staying Alive. Please see the links below to download the Call for Entries and Entry Form or email the Olympiad Officer to receive copies of these.
- The LATE ENTRY CLOSING DATE has been extended to Monday 7 November 2016. Late Entries are R135 per entry plus R100 per pack of books.
- HELP for English Teachers! See Teaching English Today by clicking here for more information.
- RESULTS for the 2016 English Olympiad have been released! To view your school’s results, please log on to the website with your Username & Password (please phone the office if you do not have these), then click on "Entries" in the task bar. You will see a symbol e.g. 'B' next to each candidate. To understand the symbol and its percentage, please go to the "Home" page and scroll down below the Top 20 Lists to "Click here for an explanation of the symbols." Please click on the word "here".
- TOP 100 RANK ORDER for 2016 has been released - please see below for the link to view this.
- TOP 20 and TOP 20 FAL for 2016 have been posted- please see below for the rank order for the Home Language and First Additional Language exams.
- 2016 CERTIFICATES will be posted to schools at the beginning of the Government Schools' Third Term 2016.
- Find past exam papers, English exercises, study inspiration or guidance for First Additional Language students by going to the "Exam Materials" tab on this website for past exam papers and FAL Study Guides. You may wish to visit A DICTIONARY OF SOUTH AFRICAN ENGLISH at: http://dsae.co.za/
- OLYMPIAD OFFICE:
- 046 603 1145 (08h00-16h30)
- Email: email@example.com
PARTNERS AND SPONSORS
The English Olympiad is a joint project between the Grahamstown Foundation, the South African Council for English Education (SACEE) and De Beers.
South African Council for English Education
South African Council for English Education (SACEE) National Website: http://www.sacee.org.za/
The De Beers Group of Companies
through the De Beers Fund,
has supported the English Olympiad since 1985.
Prize partner and sponsor
Rhodes University has
sponsored the Top 50 Scholarships
for 15 years.